Monday, December 21, 2009

Welcome to the World



So giving birth wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The hospital called around 4:30 a.m. and told me to be there by 6:45. We had been expecting the call, so I hopped in the shower, did my hair, put on some make-up (I remembered that you take pictures in the hospital!!), grabbed our bags and headed out the door. The first six hours were pretty boring. The put me on Pitocin (I don't know if that's how you spell it). I dilated to a 6 with that. I had been expecting pain, but I had none. At about 1pm the doctor came in and broke my water. That's when the pain started. Seriously, I felt like my uterus was going to rip in two. I immediately called for the anesthesiologist. I, unlike my sisters, decided to use modern medicine and avoid the unpleasant contractions!! Slowly everything went numb. It was a great feeling. At about 4:30pm I started pushing and at 6:30 Maxwell came flying out. What a strange, but good feeling that was. The doctor said the unbilical cord was really thick...whatever that means.

Oh, one funny thing. While I was pushing, the nurses left to go help some other patient, but forgot to close the door. Our new bishop walks in thinking that nothing it happening, but got a surprise.

1 comment:

  1. You are a beautiful mama and I'm sure will be a wonderful one as well. I had to do the pitocin thing to, Brenna broke my water and I was having contractions, but simply did not dialate. I was determined to go without the epidural but after seven hours of those nasty contractions I had had quite enough. I, like you, and unlike my sister, decided, why the heck not and enjoyed the blessings of modern medicine. It really is a magical thing.

    ReplyDelete